Friday 12 February 2016

V is for Vagenda (Part 6 - Sugar And Spice)



V is for Vagenda (Part 6 - Sugar And Spice) 

 

"You're great grand-daughters turning out to be a real pain in the ass, you know that?" says Klarion in his corner of the nether-realm catching up on what's been going on with world-wide crime through the thin wisps of smoke floating over a caldron.

The ominous figure in the top hat lets out a low short laugh. "I do like to dabble. My genetics, a baptismal with water from the Lazarus Pit, the exobyte... We will have the last laugh, after all"

"I don't know what was more disturbing - pretending to be a priest for 5 years to baptize both of them, or knowing it wasn't my idea. I got to give you credit - experimenting on your own direct descendants is a bold level of debauchery I thought beyond you - bravo." bows Klarion smiling.

"If you find it so depraved, why did you cooperate?" the figure responds flatly.

"I am a Lord of Chaos, and don't you forget it! ... So, naturally, I was curious to see what would happen. They mean nothing to me" Klarion smiles.

The figure turns his back unimpressed "I won't forget it - what you are was every bit as part of the plan as what I needed you to do. Or have you forgotten some of the gifts inherent in my line? After all, she did end up a sorcerer, and the exobyte was fun to ordain – but who knew what to expect from the water on a newborn? I had hopes - and frankly, one was that it worked on them both."

"Oh, I feel so used!" laughs Klarion in hysterics, "It's your family to kill, after all. Tic-toc! when do we see some fireworks!" Teekl, purring as his master scratches his head.


SUGAR AND SPICE


There was a story read to me once when I was little. There was a family on safari in the Jungle when a little boy accidentally wanders off alone chasing a butterfly. Everyone else was preoccupied with evaluating their experience against their expectations as the tour guide directed their attention to some Zebras. Just as the little boy tries to gently cup the butterfly as it delicately perched itself on a flower petal - another small boy flies by. The little boy is astonished and gives chase until finally coming to a home in the trees. The little tourist stops suddenly as a big man steps before him. The little tourist asks "are you his father?" pointing at the boy who flew. The man nods. The little tourist is still astounded asking "how is it that he can fly?!!" The old man stated simply:

Because no one told him he couldn't.

Daydreaming in my room I stay in at Watchtower, images of the story in my mind, there suddenly is a knock on the door. Batman comes in "Here - keep this on your hat"

"Ummm, why my hat?" I ask confused, inspecting the tiny pin.

"Because you never take it off. It's a transmitter. Everyone in the JLA has one. We can located you on the map and track your stats and vitals. You'll need it if you are starting to do Raids anyway." He says staring through me like I will fight him on this, or say it is ugly... Awkward...

I smiled and jump up giddy "OK!! Does it come in pink?"

He takes it back, annoyed, and walks out of the room as I get a call on my communicator.

Raiden sounds so excited. We are having our first Grey Wardens league meeting. We have some exciting things to cover, like getting all the new recruits introduced, picking days we can do Alerts and Raids on that works for the most people, monthly meet times for meetings like this one, the Facebook sites for our characters and League, the monthly best dressed getting voted on for being our website cover model... What am I forgetting? Oh ya! Deciding on where we are going to meet!! We decide on Shen Li Po Gardens over the communicator, which is a pretty little park area in Chinatown, Metropolis.

Just as I go to run out the door to meet everyone, I take the corner and hit a black wall - Batman. Menacingly holding out his hand - I give him mine as he helps me back to my feet, and as he let's go suddenly a tiny pin is in my hand. I look at him confused as he ends the conversation in two words... "It's pink".

I put it in my hat and run off before it gets more... well... I didn't want to say it was uncomfortable but if I can't pause and find a nicer way to say it... didn't I pause uncomfortably?

As I run to the teleporter, I turn and look over my shoulder... and he is still there. He didn't pull his Ninja vanishing trick that unnerves me. He has a new, much worse trick now. He's smiling again. Cree...py...

As I disappear in the Watchtower teleporter, Superman lands beside Batman smiling, as well. He catches Batman's grin and says "You're the world's greatest detective, right? Answer this. Why do you think she bothers using the teleporters?"

Batman’s smile is wiped away as the question startles him, catching him completely off guard. He exclaims "What do you mean?", as Superman floats away, smirking.

No comments:

Post a Comment