Friday 12 February 2016

V is for Vagenda (Part 19 - Snowflake)



V is for Vagenda (Part 19 - Snowflake)
 

        "Most chemicals that are used in research and teaching laboratories are stable and non-explosive at the time of purchase. Over time, some chemicals can oxidize, become contaminated, dry out, or otherwise destabilize to become PECs (e.g., isopropyl ether, sodium amide, and picric acid)."  (http://www.ehs.berkeley.edu/hm/30-chemical-waste-management/45-guidelines-for-explosive-and-potentially-explosive-chemicals.html)
If I had to take one thought that wrapped up the wildly diverse band of misfits making up the NextGen Heroes league – that would be it.  Everyone was so dissimilar.  I know birds of a feather tend to flock together, but I found no thread of commonality uniting these people and kept waiting for it to explode.  Every day, every one came to the base and no cliques would ever form.  No permanent associations were ever forming.  Nothing seemed to draw anyone together but the name of the league.  It couldn't last.  How did it last this long?
I spent a good number of months teaching people about strategy, sportsmanship, and technique to the point that I started to feel a little bit like a den mother.  Oddly enough, I liked it.  This rag tag band of misfits with nothing in common when I met them began to feel like some strange drug induced "Alice In Wonderland" enactment of a family.  A family, none the less, though.
I found myself getting together more frequently with a few dozen of the misfits, and feeling increasingly protective of them, as if they were in some sense my children.  So many ninja looters turned into upstanding citizens, and so many reckless reactionaries turned into patient lethal weapons of intense precise destruction.  I was so proud at how quickly they were learning.  It can be rare for criticism to be embraced to its fullest potential for personal benefit and growth.  Soon, we had a team that couldn't do Bludhaven exercises training in the FOS instances with relative ease.
This was the good side of NextGen Heroes.  We had one good leader in The Bloodwing, and one talented crew in the fold.  On the other hand, we had a few officers that began to abuse power.  It wasn't the abstracted improbable assortment of dissimilar personalities that would destroy what was here.  That statistically should have been the problem, but somehow, something unique, beautiful and much akin to a snowflake formed instead - only to be destroyed by the common heated vices of jealousy and vanity.



SNOWFLAKE



Watching a ton of very green rookies quickly fine tune their craft and abilities to a point that rivaled and, in some instances, surpassed those of myself.  This was the reward I found in this league.  My mothering instincts got the better of me.  I recognized these people less as league mates and more as friends - not everyone in the league, but a small group of 8 that seemed to get my attention more than the rest.
On one occasion, one of my students and I came under fire from a league lieutenant for being incompetent at our role while running a training exercise based on Smallville.  I made sure the focus was placed squarely on me so to make sure that my student wasn't brought to bear the criticism or insult.  If he had deserved it, I would not have robbed him of this opportunity to grow - but in this case, I felt it was important to allow the lieutenant the chance to dare cross me.
I was much more skilled, and held a higher combat rating with the Justice League itself than this lieutenant who would complain of incompetence.  I could hear his reasoning without being hurt by it.  If he was right, I could pass along the needed lesson constructively.  If he was wrong, I could be the endpoint on the conversation.
The lieutenant, General Liberty, failed to qualify what he felt was wrong in any way that demonstrated what should have been done in place of what had been done.  Pushing for detail was fruitless - in fact it was disastrous.  What could have been an opportunity for improvement quickly became flexed impunity raging for half an hour.  I gave my warnings that this was not constructive, and out of line.  Officers are expected to conduct themselves with a certain level of poise and grace, a level of professionalism that sets a standard of expectations to those in lower ranks.  This is how an officer garners respect and loyalty.  Virtue wins.
The nonsensical berating exceeded a 30 minute threshold I had set as a maximum duration of abuse I was willing to entertain.  On the 31st minute, as promised, I left the league.
I was not noticed by anyone but my students - my family.  No other officer took notice.  Within 15 minutes, I was approached by another league called "Exobyte Elites" and ushered in as the next hero.  I quickly made a home there, but was very much distracted by a long list of mail piling in my inbox from my students at NextGen Heroes asking if I was coming back, if they should follow me here, or if I was OK personally.  It was touching, and made it difficult to not consider NextGen Heroes home, though was suddenly in a new one.  It was a struggle within me between principal and friendship, but if friendship were to ever blossom in NextGen Heroes, then this derisive destructive behavior needed to be snuffed out, else all efforts were to be in vain.
Ostriches merely make themselves excellent targets when they bury their heads in the sand to hide from their problems.  I was raised to fight.  I punch back.  One way or the other, the problem is eliminated.  Here, abuse of power was the problem.  Here, abuse of power had to be eliminated.
I joined Exobyte Elites - seen no such power abuses taking shape toward anyone.  They were very efficient.  They were very polite.  They were all so very much alike.  I felt like I left the rabbit hole and landed on Wall Street.  It was clear immediately why these people attracted each other and that wasn't to say that the common qualities they shared were in any way negative.  This was a businessman's league.  This was private networked VPN Chat-based PVP training oriented professionalism gone wild.  It was so purely professional, I was both finding myself feeling very respectful and somehow intimidated by them.  I wasn't sure I could be that professional, let alone that professional all of the time.
I actually played more, but felt less involved in all I did trying to be as professionally detached emotionally from the action as the rest managed to be.  It came as a great surprise, however, when a few days later, I returned from a series of FOS successes to see Alphanoid waiting for me.  He was patiently waiting for me to return from training so to ask if I would entertain grouping for 30 minutes.
Fascinated, and surprised - I accepted his invitation at face value, and out of some predetermined sense of honor did not immediately leave when I discovered General Liberty in the group as well.  Apparently, my children made it readily clear to Alpha, who was second in command at NextGen Heroes, what had happened between General Liberty and I.  I was made aware, in clear well-chosen words, that General Liberty was indeed read the riot act ever since Alpha was aware of what took place.  I was separately made aware that, although General Liberty was indeed grilled out, he was also purely there of his own free will to make any attempt required to convince me that he genuinely was sorry about what had happened.
Anyone that knows me can attest that emotively, I am the Seawise Giant.
Here, take a look at the Seawise Giant (or Jahre Viking, and various other names it's carried under different owners), if you don't already know and love this thing - please:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawise_Giant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX2HFVHbo18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxbY1wR87b0

OK, so now that we are all experts on the Seawise Giant - please understand my metaphor.  I don't turn easily from a negative emotion to a positive one.  I may be the worst case for this in the world.  I'm so serious, and my being aware of this has in no way armed me with any effective way to alter this fact.
General Liberty spent the better part of 45 minutes convincing me that he was being genuine and true.  The very fact that anyone would take an interest in convincing me for this long won out in the end.  I conceded that this was no mere posturing or patronizing to try to bury the hatchet.  General Liberty won himself fully into my good graces again, and I left Exobyte Elites to rejoin NextGen Heroes.
Strangely, no one at Exobyte Elites ever seemed to notice I was gone?
All was well and a new age of productivity emerged for all of us there.  The number of people that I work under my wing grew larger and The Bloodwing ultimately promoted me to one rank below Alphanoid appreciating the show of ethics.  He agreed at the time that this kind of thing ultimately benefited the league.
I felt that for months, this was true...
One evening Alphanoid really wanted to pull together a team to run the Fortress of Solitude exercise.  Our rag tag group got our collective asses in gear and volunteered.  We had all roles, lifestyles, colors, and walks of life delicately colliding into our rare snowflake, our beautiful band of misfits - finely tuned and ready to squash the mission.
We begin the instance.  Alphanoid wanted pure domination from us and that was exactly what we delivered.  We got to the first boss, and suddenly Alphanoid leaves the instance and announces over our comm channel that he has decided to start over with another group from another league that is starting.  We tried calling out for a replacement but continually failed to find one.  After a while some of our group got depressed about it and dropped out as well.
After about an hour, we were a group made of five here from the start, 2 guests from other leagues, and still we were one healer short to continue.
Alphanoid came back to our group, embittered about how horribly bad the other group he had joined had failed.  Soon, his anger led to lashing out on us as well.  I was not allowing this to stand.
On behalf of everyone in the league, I first apologized to our guests.  They should never have seen one of us acting this way, let alone our second in command behaving this way.
Then I turned my attention on Alphanoid.  I explained to him how long we have been waiting since he first abandoned us, and that rather than lashing out, he best recognize loyalty and consider an apology for having wasted what collectively added up to 8 hours of time real people lost.  Admittedly, this figure was assuming 8 people waited an hour, and thus was statistically inflated, yet the point needed to be made.
I merely succeeded in taking fury off of others and unto myself as he decided I was the new target of his anger.  Ironically, the person who stood up for ethics with me when it applied to General Liberty was now acting as bad or worse than General Liberty ever had.
The return of abusing power emerged and I somehow ended up attempting to champion the fight to not have my family abused, taken for granted, taken advantage of, and otherwise generally disrespected.  The stand led to a demotion to the lowest possible rank - for no other reason than that he could and he wanted to anger me anyway he thought I might react to.  He tried many lines of insults seeking the reaction he was fishing.
He even started calling me Orange again.
Throughout the rest of the week, I had spoken to The Bloodwing about what had happened, but he did not show any interest in the matter what-so-ever.  I was shocked at his complete complacency.  All he would do is restore my rank each time he noticed that Alphanoid dropped it again.
Cosmic War had also recently begun getting treated particularly badly for no reason other than that the tanks within the higher ranks could suddenly recognize that he was as good as or better than them now.  As a threat to their position of dominance in Raid Selection in the league, and I would watch and learn.  A new Officer named Lord Ahnubis had joined the fold and was a tank that was very much used to being far and away the best tank in a league.  Lord Ahnubis was one of the longest standing heroes in the Watch Tower who wasn't pre-dating Exobytes.  He had a long history among many leagues and was well respected, but yet his actions revealed a clear sense of threat in how he treated Cosmic War.
I don't care if you are Superman himself.  General Liberty, Stabilo, HappyHammer, Epic Arrow, Cosmic War, Garth Dreamwalker, MayaDF, AnotherPacifist - hell, even Endrix - these were people core to the family now, and anyone who wanted to wrongfully hurt anyone of them...  Well, good luck getting through me first.
The weeks that came to pass after taking a stand once again revealed that our rag tag crew of misfits set the standard and that example was not being met by the higher ranks.  The inverse should always be true.  Alphanoid continued entertaining himself by being as rude as possible daily towards me.  Lord Ahnubis continued to mount support for people to not like Cosmic War so to secure his position as the preferred league tank.  The Bloodwing did nothing at all to take control of these dynamics.
Soon, the snowflake - in all of its crystalline once-in-a-lifetime beauty - ceased to be.  Epic Arrow, Lunar Eclipse, Garth Dreamwalker, and MayaDF soon left for other leagues.  Soon after, Endrix left as well.  Our incredibly improbable team melted under the hostile environment created by heated egos.
With virtually nothing left to make us want to stay, Cosmic War and I also left.  At least The Bloodwing noticed that in all this, it cost him his best Raid team and an officer - he did eventually hunt me down and make sure that the two of us were on good terms.
Good would come of this.  Other good things had already started on the sidelines of all of this as well, but that is quite another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment